It's started already, people dropping like flies all around me with coughs, colds, fevers, tiredness, viruses and general winter malaise......be gone, I say! As a mother of small children, I have spent the last few years trudging through the quagmire of winter coughs and colds. Our first year with two children was particularly horrendous, I think the low point was presenting at the hospital emergency with an 8 month old with pneumonia, only to be followed by her 3 yr old big sister, the very next day. "Weren't you here yesterday?", um, yes. Mother of the year!
This inundation of germs and sickness really confounded me. I had always been reasonably healthy, and I come from a family of women who are very strong and healthy. Sickness just didn't feature. I found myself observing this onslaught of illness, this constant cycle of snotty nose and respiratory infections, and people telling me 'they're building their immunity', and thinking that I must be able to to do SOMETHING to stem the tide not only of germs, but also of commercial and synthetic products that were so readily recommended by the medical profession. Often with the caveat "we're not sure if it will make a difference, but it's worth a go".
In the last 18 months, since we have been using essential oils, our immunity has improved drastically - for the whole family. Last winter we got through with only two illnesses! Two, for the whole season, with a 2 yr old and 4 yr old who were both at daycare. The husband who is asthmatic and generally gets struck down with a chest infection that requires antibiotics at least once a year, has not required any! That's pretty blood good result I reckon. Now, taking into account that illness is multi-factorial, my own health has been markedly improved not just by the addition of essential oils, but also through reducing my stress response, and EFT has been a key practice in this space. As a brief intervention tool, EFT has a remarkable effect on reducing feelings of anxiety, anger, nervousness within a very short timeframe. I have made a conscious decision to take my wellness into my own hands and do everything I can to improve my health. This means reducing toxic load (switching to all natural cleaning and personal care products), improving my mental and emotional wellbeing (essential oils, meditation, Qi Gong, EFT, emotional anatomy) and taking care of my physical health (regular movement, plant-based supplements, reduced alcohol, as much sleep as is possible with small children).
I don't believe in a single cure for anything, never have. We are complex and connected beings, it does not take a single pill, exercise, diet regime, practice or faith to keep us in balance. It takes a truly holistic approach - mind, body, spirit - on a daily, repeated basis, to keep us returning to balance, as that balance shifts with each passing moment.
Here are the ways in which we keep ourselves healthy through winter:
- On Guard: applied to everyones feet when sickness is around. I keep an On Guard Hand Sanitiser in my handbag to prevent the spread of germs while out and about, and make all the hand soap in the house with it to improve the efficacy of all hand washing. PREVENTION IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN CURE.
- Lemon: in my water daily to boost anti-oxidant levels
- Frankincense, Balance, Lavender Peace: to calm and ground the central nervous system reducing anxiety and stress
- Easy Air: to clear the airways and support easy breathing
- Tea Tree, Lavender, Oregano: added immune support
- Life Long Vitality: celullar health, nutrition support, healthy fats (remember, dōTERRA offer a 30-day money back guarantee on this product so just give it a go, you've got nothing to lose!)
- TERRA Greens: nutrition support and leafy green intake when my diet is poor!
Emotional Freedom Technique is an effective way to engage the body mind to work FOR you. The body is always seeking to return to balance, and using EFT to reduce your stress and clear out negative emotions is an important part of achieving balance. You can also use EFT to strengthen your connection with your physical self, focusing on tuning into specific body systems and organs, supporting their function and the role they play in your overall health.
- Tapping to clear frustration, anger, resentment, tiredness (all present in abundance when parenting small children!)
- Tapping into good health and intention, to support a positive frame of mind and build resilience to dealing with life stressors
- Tapping scripts and audio - use these resources to tap along to guided EFT meditations that are specifically targeted towards supporting your physical and mental health through the winter months. Enjoy!
If you're new to EFT tapping, check out this brief video for an overview of the practice before starting the meditations. Private sessions are available in person or online. If you'd like to explore this option please connect via email, or PM me on facebook and we can get you booked. Leave a comment and let me know how you go :)